Student Leadership Opportunity - SI Leader
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A FANTASTIC LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY ON CAMPUS?
As a Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader, you can get paid to have fun, make new friends, work with an instructor you admire, build your resume and reinforce what you have learned in a difficult course.
Apply to be an SI Leader today!
Under the supervision of Supplemental Instruction Coaches and the Assistant Director of ACE, SI Leaders are trained in planning and facilitating collaborative learning study sessions for MCC students who are enrolled in targeted courses.
SI Leaders attend the course they are an SI Leader for and must have some availability (1-3 hours per week) either directly before or after class meeting times so that they can run study sessions before and/or after class.
SI Leaders work 7-10 hours per week
- Attend mandatory SI leader training prior to the start of each semester.
- Attend class meeting times (including labs) for the course/section you are an SI Leader for.
- Model appropriate academic attitudes and behaviors to staff, faculty and students.
- Plan and facilitates one-two study sessions per week either directly before or after class (or depending on the availability of students enrolled in the course.)
- Assist students in the development of appropriate study skills.
- Maintain consistent communication with SI Coaches regarding session meeting times and locations.
- Track student attendance and upload study session plans to blackboard each week
- Attend monthly meetings.
- Distribute, collect and return various supplemental instruction surveys.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
SI Leaders should have the ability and desire to work with a diverse population of their community college peers and possess good interpersonal and organizational skills. SI Leaders should be responsible, have the desire to help others, and be flexible. They should also have knowledge of basic academic study skills and application within the specific course they wish to be an SI Leader for.
SI Leaders are required to have successfully completed the Health, Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (Health and STEM) course with a B or better and have a recommendation from the faculty member whom they wish to be an SI Leader for. SI Leaders should maintain an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
Current SI opportunities for STEM and Health courses are available for summer and fall 2015. If you're interested in applying to be an SI Leader for a STEM or Health course, click here to fill out the SI Leader application online, print out a faculty recommendation form for your instructor to fill out, and attend one of the following group interview sessions:
|Reading Center LIB7B
Reading Center LIB7B
**Please note all new summer 2015 SI Leaders are required to attend a one day training on May 20th and all fall 2015 are required to attend a two day training August 19th-20th
Please contact Genevieve Green @ email@example.com for more information.