Summer Session FAQ's

Is financial aid available for summer courses?

Yes, Middlesex Community College (MCC) has limited program funds available to help students pay for summer courses. The grant program available for summer is the Federal Pell Grant program.  This award for summer is only available if a student has not already received their maximum annual Pell award for the current academic year. Also available for summer are federal student loans. Students must enroll on at least a 1/2 time basis in the summer to qualify for a federal student loan. 

How does a student apply for financial aid for the summer?

The upcoming 2020 summer sessions are considered the end of the 2019-2020 academic year so students must complete a 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Please go to the federal FAFSA web site,  If you have already completed a 2019-2020 FAFSA and had it sent to MCC, you do not need to complete another one.

Is there a financial aid priority filing date for the summer sessions?

Yes, May 15th is the priority filing date for the summer sessions. Students who apply for financial aid by this date will receive notification of their estimated Pell Grant award prior to the start of the summer courses at the end of May.

Is there a deadline for applying for summer financial aid?

Yes, the deadline to file a federal 2019-2020 FAFSA is June 30, 2019. Additionally, all requested documentation to complete a financial aid file must be submitted by August 1.

How will the student know the type and amount of financial aid that they will be receiving for the summer sessions?

The Financial Aid Office begins notifying students of their estimated awards through MCC email and the MCC Portal called MyMCC in the beginning of May.

Can a student register for summer courses even though they have not been notified of their financial aid eligibility?

Yes, actually students must be registered for courses before the Financial Aid Office will determine any award. Students do not have to pay for their summer courses up-front if they are applying for financial aid. However, students must understand that if the student is not eligible for financial aid or the financial aid award does not cover the summer session balance with the Student Accounts Office, the student is responsible for that balance.

Can a student get financial aid for a summer Book Advance?

Yes, a students Book Advance (Book Voucher) is based on a student having more financial aid than his/her tuition and fees. Book Advances are available for use through June 15.

PLEASE NOTE: Students will be charged a portion of tuition and fees for any class attended on the first day of class. 

If your financial aid is insufficient or you do not wish to accept the financial aid offered, you must drop your class(s) PRIOR to the first day of the summer session to receive a 100% refund of your tuition & fees. If you wait past this point, the Student Accounts Office will charge you a percentage of your tuition and fees.

Last Modified: 11/1/19