Applying for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan
Applying for a Federal Direct Stafford loan requires just a few additional actions on your part. Follow the steps outlined below and feel free to contact your financial aid advisor if you need assistance.
1. Complete the FAFSA
Make sure that you have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2017-2018 academic year. Complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA for the Fall 2017 and spring 2018 semesters.
2. How To Accept Or Decline Your Federal Direct Student Loan
If you have been offered a Federal Direct Student Loan and want to accept or decline your loan, please follow the instructions below:
Log into MiddleNet and sign into your account. Under the school services tab, select:
- Enrollment Services & Financial Aid
- Financial Aid
- My Award Information
- Award by Aid Year, select 2017-18
- Select Award Letter Tab
- Accept/Decline your loan
3. Complete Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling, if you are a new first-time borrower.
Before your loan can be certified, an online loan entrance counseling session must be completed at: https://studentloans.gov/
Under Entrance Counseling, sign in using your FSA-ID
- Follow the instructions and take the quiz
- You will need to answer 12 of the 15 questions correctly
- At the end of the quiz, make sure you click on Middlesex Community College - Bedford
- The MCC Financial Aid Office will receive confirmation electronically that you have completed the Entrance Counseling
4. Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN), if you are a new first-time borrower.
You will need your Federal PIN to sign your MPN online at https://studentloans.gov/ Sign in using your FSA-ID which is the electronic signature you used to sign your FAFSA.
- For MPN Type Selection, choose subsidized/unsubsidized
- Complete all 9 steps
- The MCC Financial Aid Office will receive confirmation that you have completed your MPN electronically.