What is Service-Learning?
Service-learning is a credit-bearing educational experience in which students participate in an organized service activity that meets identified community needs and reflect on the service activity in such a way as to gain further understanding of the course content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility. Service-learning focuses on critical reflective thinking and civic responsibility; the service and the learning are designed to be both valuable for the student and the community partner.
Middlesex students are encouraged to participate in community engagement activities, including Service-Learning – and many consider this one of the most meaningful experiences of their education.
What are the Program Requirements?
- Students are required to spend 22 hours a semester (2-3 hours a week) at their community
site and it must occur over an 8-11 week time period during the semester. Students
are also responsible for reflecting on their service-learning work and relating it
to what they learn in their classes and textbooks.
- Students are responsible for choosing their placement from the list of college approved
sites on the service-learning database and then registering on-line through the service-learning web-based registration system.
- Students are responsible for going to their site and completing a CORI (criminal background)
- *NEW THIS FALL* Due to new Massachusetts' State Regulations, some sites, including
preschools, K-12 schools, and after school programs, may require students to be fingerprinted.
The site will provide the information regarding this requirement and there will be
a $35 fee attached to it.
- Students are responsible for printing all necessary forms from the service-learning database, filling them out with their community site supervisor and then their professor, and returning them to the service-learning office by the required due date.
How do I get started?
Your professor will show you the on-line service-learning orientation video and give you all the information needed to properly register for service-learning. It is your responsibility to follow all written instructions and begin your service-learning placement no later than the week of February 20, 2015.
- Follow all necessary directions to register on-line for service-learning.
- Schedule a visit with the site supervisor and fill out the CORI check as soon as possible.
- If necessary, complete the fingerprinting requirement.
- Agree on a service schedule with the site supervisor.
- Complete the paperwork with the site supervisor and your professor and return it to the service-learning office by Feb. 20, 2015.
- Complete and record your 22 hours of service and submit all necessary reflection assignments.
- Return signed timesheet to the service-learning office by May 1,2015.
Bedford: Building #5, Bedford House, Office# 209
Lowell: 5th Floor, Office #21