What is Service-Learning?
What is Service-Learning?
Service-learning is a credit-bearing academic experience in which students participate in an organized service activity that meets identified community needs. The academic portion of the project comes in the form of reflection assignments created by and assigned by your professor. Service-learning has been shown to provide students with further understanding of course content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility. The service and the learning are designed to be valuable for both the student and the community partner.
What are the Program Requirements?
- Students spend 22 hours at their community partner site over an 8-11 week period for a 3 credit class. Students may do service-learning for more than one class: 2 classes = 36 hours, 3 classes = 44 hours
- Students complete reflection assignments, determined by their professor, which relate their service work to course material and objectives.
- Using SLPro, the service-learning database, students choose a placement from the list of college approved sites that correspond with their class and then register online.
- Students go to their site and complete a CORI.
- Due to new Massachusetts' State Regulations, some sites, including preschools, K-12 schools, and after school programs, may require students to be fingerprinted. The site will provide the information regarding this requirement.
- Students print all necessary forms from the service-learning website, fill them out with their community site supervisor and professor, and return them to the service-learning department by the required due dates.
- Choose a site of interest from the list of sites on SLPro that corresponds with your class
- Contact the site by phone and email to discuss the possibility of your doing service-learning with them
- Follow directions to register on-line using SLPro
- Schedule a visit with the site supervisor and fill out the CORI
- If necessary, complete the fingerprinting requirement.
- Coordinate your service schedule with your site supervisor and begin your service-learning placement by the week of February 15, 2016.
- Complete your Service-Learning Contract with your site supervisor and professor and return it to the Service-Learning Office by February 24, 2016.
- Complete and record your 22 hours of service and submit all necessary reflection assignments.
- Return signed Time Report to the service-learning office by May 9, 2016.
Coordinator of Service-Learning
Lowell City Building, 5th Floor, Office 21