Service-Learning FAQ - Fall 2013
What is Individual Service-Learning?back to top
Service-learning is a credit-bearing educational experience in which students participate in an organized service activity that meets identified community needs and reflect on their service. Combining service with learning allows students to gain further understanding of course content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility. Service-learning focuses on critical reflective thinking and civic responsibility.
What are the Program Requirements for Individual Service-Learning?back to top
Students are required to spend 22 hours a semester (2-3 hours a week) at their community site over an 8-11 week time period during the semester. Students are also responsible for reflecting on their service-learning work and relating it to what they learn in their classes and textbooks.
Students are responsible for choosing their placement from the list of college approved sites on the service-learning database and then registering on-line through the service-learning web-based registration system.
Students are responsible for printing all necessary forms from the service-learning database, filling them out with their community site supervisor and then their professor, and returning them to the service-learning office by the required due date.
How do I get started?back to top
How do I get started?
Your professor will show you the on-line service-learning orientation video and give you all the information needed to properly register for service-learning. It is your responsibility to follow all written instructions and begin your service-learning placement no later than the week of September 30, 2013.
Student Checklistback to top
- Follow all necessary directions to register on-line for service-learning.
- Schedule a visit with the site supervisor and fill out the CORI check as soon as possible.
- Agree on a service schedule with the site supervisor.
- Complete the paperwork with the site supervisor and your professor and return it to the service-learning office by October 18, 2013.
- Complete and record your 22 hours of service during for 8-11 weeks.
- Complete all reflection assignments as instructed by course professor.
- Return signed timesheet to the service-learning office by December 13, 2013.
Contact Infoback to top
Bedford: Building #5, Bedford House, Office# 209
Lowell: 5th Floor, Office #21