Veteran and Military-Connected New Student Admissions Checklist

Thank you for your interest in attending Middlesex Community College! The following checklist will provide you with the steps to becoming a student as well as additional resources that may assist on your journey towards completing your certificate or degree program.

Printable Version: Veteran and Military-Connected New Student Admissions Checklist

  •  Visit the Veterans Resource Center website for information on how to apply, VA educational resources, college and community resources, and other helpful information.

    • Apply for your VA education benefits by completing the Application for VA Education Benefits form 22-1990) or to transfer your benefits from another college or university to MCC (Form 22-1995) by accessing VONAPP.
    • The VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility for qualified individuals that provides months of entitlement, the period of eligibility, and benefit level information.
  •    You may be eligible for additional grants and scholarships and can find more information by visiting the Financial Aid website. You may also visit the VRC’s Scholarships website.

    In order to apply for Financial Aid:
    • Create an FAFSA I.D. (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
    • Complete the FAFSA
    • Tip: Save your FAFSA I.D. information in a secure location.
  •    New students may be required to complete guided placement questionnaires in the areas of math, reading, and writing. Multiple measures are another way of determining your initial English and math courses (if applicable).

    More information can be found at the Student Assessment website.
  •    Provides an overview of the college and students receive assistance with registering for classes. Visit the Academic and Transfer Advising website to sign up for a virtual session or an in-person Express Registration session.

  •     After registering for classes, new students to the college seeking to use veteran or military education benefits will need to complete the following steps:

    1. Visit the Veteran Advising and click on “Complete the Certification Request Form”
    2. Fill in all applicable fields
    3. At the bottom of the form, upload a PDF, JPEG or PNG of your Certificate of Eligibility/Summary of Education Benefits and DD-214. Veterans Readiness and Employment beneficiaries will need to have their Vocation Rehabilitation Counselor submit a purchase order to in lieu of a CoE.
    4. Click submit

    For more information about your benefits, please visit the VRC’s Educational Benefit Information website.

    Note: For future semesters, you will only need to fill out and submit the online certification form after registering for classes by visiting the Veteran Advising website.

  •   After certification, a hold is placed on your account after your initial registration to prevent potential financial and/or academic ramifications. Please contact your SCO immediately if you want to make any changes to your class schedule. This includes adding courses, dropping courses, withdrawing, degree major changes or receiving incomplete grades.

  •    The Student Accounts Office on campus requires veterans to file your Veteran Tuition Waiver or for National Guard students to complete a National Guard Tuition and Fees Waiver once every academic year. You can provide the completed form to or drop by a Student Accounts Office located in the Enrollment Center, Second Floor on the Bedford campus or the Cowan Center, Room 317 on the Lowell campus.

    For Reserves students using tuition assistance, please visit the VRC’s Tuition Assistance website. 

  •    If you are taking 9 or more credits, you are also required to file a health insurance waiver, otherwise you will be billed for health insurance. The waiver can be found in your MyMCC portal.

    Health immunization information:  The college requires students to submit proof of immunizations. For more information about what vaccinations are required and how to submit proof, please visit the Required Immunizations website. If taking on-campus courses, proof of COVID vaccination must be provided prior to registration.

  •    For more information about classroom accommodations, visit the Student Access & Support Services website. SASS may be reached at (781) 280-3630.

  •    All new veteran and military-connected students are encouraged to attend this informative session before the beginning of every semester. You will meet Student Services and a member of our VITAL program. Resources will also be shared to assist in transitioning to college. This session also provides the opportunity to meet other new students.

Additional Information

  •   Consider joining a club on campus. It is a great way to meet others and have some fun. Visit the Office of Student Engagement’s Clubs and Organizations website for more information.


    Financial Aid book voucher:  The Financial Aid Office can assist with book vouchers. Please visit their office for assistance.

    Post 9/11 GI Bill® educational benefit book stipend:  You should receive a payment the first week of classes per semester from the VA if certified before the start of the semester.

    Veterans Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31):  Please contact the MCC’s Bedford Bookstore (Campus Center, 781-276-4211) or the Lowell Bookstore (Cowan Center Ground Floor, 978-322-8323) for assistance.


    MCC App:  Download the MCC app to have quick and easy access to your email as well as school cancellation notifications.

    Forwarding MCC email to personal email:

    • Log into Office 365
    • Click the Settings (gear icon) menu in the top-right corner
    • In the search field, type forwarding
    • Click Start Forwarding, and enter an email address that you would like your Office 365 account forwarded. (It is recommend enabling the option to keep a copy of forwarded messages)
    • Click Save
    You may also choose to receive your e-mail using a different e-mail program. This can be done as long as the other e-mail program uses POP3 or IMAP.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at"
Last Modified: 3/25/24