Reference, Information, and Job Search
Recommended Legal Research Sitesback to top
- Mass. Trial Court Law Library information. This is the place to start when doing any kind of legal research in Massachusetts. Their Forms section provides links to all sorts of free legal forms specific to Massachusetts. They also provide links to court cases and laws of Massachusetts.
- Google Scholar Case Law Research - Free!
- Lexis Nexis is a paid site for lawyers. Students can access Lexis Nexis Academic for free with your student library card.
- Westlaw is a paid site for lawyers. MCC Paralegal students have access to Westlaw during their semesters in Legal Research and Writing.
Other Legal Research Sitesback to top
- The Library of Congress website
- Cornell Law School. This site has links to the Code of Federal Regulations, the US Code, and numerous other information links.
- U.Penn Law School’s Biddle Law Library. It has links to many legal research sources that cannot be found elsewhere, such as the Uniform Laws website NCCUSL.
- The Electric Law Library. A research tool (with a sense of humor.) Articles and forms for free on legal topics. They also connect to other sites where you can buy forms.
- FindLaw is a free general legal search site that has info on cases, statutes, etc. from across the United States.
Topical Legal Informationback to top
- Auto Safety
- Business and Entrepreneurship. A crazy site name but lots of info on forming and operating businesses, including free forms.
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Copyright Laws
- Nolo is a legal publisher site with a free glossary of legal terms
- Legal Information Institute provides a legal "lexicon"
- The Federal Trade Commission
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
- Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure
- Federal Rules of Evidence
- Forms for free
- Law about…(choose your topic) Provides helpful info about a wide range of legal topics including immigration, taxes, divorce, adoption, etc.
- Limited Liability Companies
- Martindale-Hubbell (for locating lawyers)
- Patent and Trademark Laws (the US Patent and Trademark Office)
- Real Estate
- State specific real estate topics. Department of Housing and Urban Development web site
- US Supreme Court You have to pay to get decisions, but you can get free info in articles about the court and justices.
- SCOTUS Blog This Supreme Court term’s cases are available plus more.
- US Code
- US Constitution
Massachusetts Legal Sitesback to top
- Mass. Trial Court Law Library information. This is THE place to start when searching Mass. topics. Their Forms section provides links to get all sorts of free legal forms, such as Health Care Proxies, Homestead forms, Civil motions, Small claims forms, Probate forms, and many more. They also provide links to court cases and laws of Massachusetts.
- Mass.gov. Anything having to do with Mass. government can be reached from this site. But there are lots of links to click, and it sometimes can get confusing.
- Mass. Lawyers Weekly, the weekly newspaper used by Mass. legal professionals. It contains job listings as well as articles and current case reports.
- Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts This site provides slip opinions of recent Mass. court cases at no charge. They will even e-mail them to your email address.
- Middlesex North Registry of Deeds You can get to any registry from here. And this is a website with a sense of fun and wonder! Always changing; great stuff.
- Information for Notaries Public. This provides info and regulations for Mass. notaries public, including a form for applying to become a NP.
- The Secretary of State’s home page Provides links to all the state divisions, all the Registries of deeds, etc.
- Massachusetts Division of Corporations site.
- Massachusetts Attorney General’s web site.
- Massachusetts’ Bankruptcy Court website.
- Massachusetts Consumers Coalition web site; includes good info on automobile issues.
- Mass. rules of professional conduct (ethical code) for lawyers and judges.
- Boston Bar Association
- Mass. Bar Association
- Mass. Real Estate Lawyers bar association. Has very useful links to HUD documents, registries, etc. As well as info on all real estate topics such as lead paint, etc.
Paralegal Professional/Career Sitesback to top
- Massachusetts Paralegal Association
- Paralegal Association of New Hampshire
- National Federation of Paralegal Associations. This Association gives the PACE certification examination. You can also go to their Career Center to search for jobs.
- National Association of Legal Assistants. This organization gives the exams that lead to a Certified Legal Ass’t or Certified Paralegal designation. They do not provide job searches however.
- National Paralegal Association website.
- International Paralegal Management Association.
- American Association for Paralegal Education
- Legal Authority.com. Free resume and interviewing tips specifically for legal professionals.
- Typical Paralegal Duties (by Specialty)
General Job Search and Informationback to top
Although this site is intended for lawyers not paralegals, it has some good articles and tips on the legal profession. Help with resume writing and interviewing for legal professionals.
Legal and Paralegal Job Searchback to top
In the last few years, Craig’s list has become a very popular site for employers to post jobs.
Numerous paralegal postings in the Mass. Area. Both these sites get you to the same ads.
Numerous paralegal postings.
It’s a national site, but you can narrow your search. You will see a lot of placement agency ads here.
This is the official job site for the United States Federal Government.
This is the NFPA site. Enter the Career Center and you can do a free search for jobs.
This takes you to all the Mass. state job openings. Search by Occupational Group to find legal jobs.
Careers with the FTC
Jobs with the Federal government. They will send you free job search alerts.
This site lists employment opportunities within the Mass. Trial Court system.
Search for jobs on the Mass. Bar website.
Insurance companies typically hire lots of paralegals; check out other insurers.
For government jobs in Boston including the trial courts
A large collection of legal jobs, but they are all across the US.
Career Jet is an employment search engine that allows for search by industry.
No jobs in Mass. when I checked.
FindLaw has its own legal job search. Again, lots of jobs, but not many in Massachusetts.
Same website as www.law.com above.
International Paralegal Management Association website (scroll down the page to “Job Bank”). Has job listings all over the country.
Has many contacts with numbers and names, but there were not many actual listings of current jobs when I searched. Good to use for sending out resumes though.
Even though it says paralegal jobs, I didn’t find any when I searched in April 2005.
Free to sign up, but seldom any jobs in Mass.
Primarily for lawyers, but they are a possibility. email@example.com
Placement and Temp Agenciesback to top
NOTE: Typically the employer will pay a temp or placement agency a fee for finding an employee. But some may charge the employee instead. Be sure to understand what they are doing for you and what they are charging you.
- Robert Half Legal, Christopher Bennett, Recruiting Manager
(Beacon Hill Legal 617-326-4000) Well known in Boston legal circles.
Shelley Widoff of BU has run this paralegal placement agency for many years. Well known in Boston legal circles.
Kelly temps legal jobs division.
Additional Job Related Sitesback to top
Legal Secretary jobs are mixed in with Lawyer jobs. Don’t try to narrow your search, you will miss some potentially interesting jobs.
Don’t let the name fool you. This is a woman owned firm in Boston.
Another woman owned firm. Go through Find A Job, and then choose Temp or Permanent Buttons at the top of the middle section (hard to figure out because the buttons that work look just like the buttons that don’t work)
Search under the term “law.”
Many jobs in Florida…only a few in New England.
Places legal professionals. They also post on Monster and Career Builder, but you can contact them directly.
They specialize in Office Support, but 1 subcategory is Legal Support Staff.
Shows up in Boston ads quite often.
This is the legal division of Randstad. Choose Candidate; then Job Board.
Their clients include Lucent Technologies and 3Com Corp; search “paralegal.”
Robert Half Legal Staffing 800-870-8367
- A large placement firm, this is their legal wing. They show up in lots of ads in Boston, and are familiar with MCC paralegal students.
There were paralegal jobs, but none in Mass. when I looked.
- http://discovercriminaljustice.com/ Criminal Justice and Juvenile Justice career resource with articles and interviews.