John Nesmith House
229 Andover Street
The John Nesmith House reflects the splendor of an era when Lowell, Massachusetts was home to some of America's first captains of industry. The house is an elegant setting for small conferences, retreats, dinners and receptions, as well as intimate weddings.
Built in 1843 for John and Harriet Nesmith, the 22-room Greek Revival/Regency mansion was a center for social and cultural affairs in the area for decades. Nesmith descendants continued to live in the house until 1939.
Today, Nesmith House is owned by the Middlesex Community College Foundation. In 1994, the residence was restored to its former grandeur, when more than 30 interior and landscape designers refurbished the building and it was opened as a Designer Showhouse. The house features period furnishings throughout and has been updated with central heat, air conditioning and a full professional kitchen.
To schedule an event at Nesmith House, contact Maureen Spinney, Director of Historic Properties, at 978-458-3722 or e-mail: email@example.com.