Community Engagement / Service Learning
Service-Learning at MCC Program Highlights
- 2006, 2007, and 2008--MCC named to President's Community Service Honor Roll which recognizes colleges and universities nationwide that support innovative and effective community service and service-learning programs. The Honor Roll's Presidential Award, given each year to only a handful of institutions, is the highest federal recognition a college or university can receive for its commitment to volunteering, service-learning, and civic engagement.
- Inaugural edition of Center for Community Engagement newsletter is published.
- Summer 2007- Responding to an increase in interest and participation by students and faculty,the Service-Learning Program evolves into the Center for Community Engagement, with Sheri Denk as Center Coordinator. Cynthia Lynch continues as the Coordinator of Service Learning.
- Fall 2003 to Fall 2006- The Lowell Civic Collaborative, with funding through a Learn and Serve America grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service, afforded MCC with resources to incorporate service and civic engagement. TLC featured civic dialogs and faculty institutes to restructure 31 Liberal Arts and Sciences courses with civic engagement or service-learning components.
- Fall 2005- Cynthia Lynch joins MCC as the Service Learning Coordinator.
- Spring 2004- MCC awarded Raise Your Voice grant from Mass. Campus Compact to engage campus community in civic dialogue.
- Fall 2000 -Sheri Denk is named Service Learning Coordinator.
- Fall 1999-For the third year,MCC is selected as a host site for an Americorps VISTA through the Mass Campus Compact.
- Spring 1999- Dr. Donna Duffy, Professor of Psychology at MCC, was awarded the Thomas Ehrlich Faculty Award for Service-Learning by the Campus Compact National Center for Community Colleges for her "fundamental commitment to the formation of caring and informed citizens for a democratic society."
- Spring 1999- Prof. Susan Thomson, is appointed as Service Learning Faculty Associate. Susan is an anthropologist and serves at the faculty liaison for training and program development.
- Fall 1998- MCC is selected as a host site for an AmeriCorps VISTA through Mass Campus Compact to assist with program development and America Reads Program.
- Fall 1998- The first edition of Service Learning Insights,a collection of writings by MCC students is published.Additional editions in Fall 1999 and Fall 2000.
- Fall 1997- Spring 1998 MCC is selected as a host for a service learning AmeriCorps VISTA through the Mass.Campus Compact.
- Fall 1997- MCC is awarded a 3 year grant through the Campus Compact Center for Community Colleges, 2 + 4 = Service on Common Ground. MCC forms a partnership with Bentley College to increase service learning knowledge, skills and experience between campuses.
- Fall 1997- As part of a S.E.A.M.S. grant (science, engineering, architecture, mathematics and computer science), Prof. Dorothy Stumpf integrated service learning into her Environmental Studies course. A curriculum guide was developed and distributed to MCC faculty and area community college faculty.
- Fall 1997- MCC is awarded an After School Program Grant by the Mass. Campus partnership with the Lowell Girls and Boys Club Association, MCC service learning students tutored school-aged children in computer and writing skills.
- Summer 1997- MCC incorporates position of Service Learning Coordinator as a permanent position at the college. Geralyn Vasile is selected to fill this position.
- 1995- President Carole A. Cowan elected to co-chair Mass Campus Compact,
- 1994 and 1995 MCC awarded Learn and Serve grants
- "A Guidebook for Projects Between Community Colleges and National Parks,"edited by Susan Thomson, 2006
- "Seeking the Truth About Community Service," Pamela Edington, Campus Compact Newsletter
- "Hunger, Homelessness and Social Policy," Pamela Edington and Geralyn Vasile, Redesigning Curricula: Models of Service Learning Syllabi, Campus Compact, 1994
- "Community Service at Community Colleges," Pamela Edington, Service Counts,1995