First-Year Experience (FYE)
Orientation into college life takes more than the week or so typically devoted to this initial experience if students are to become fully engaged. National research has shown what we at Middlesex have intuitively known all along: Students are more successful – in completing their courses, in graduation rates, in their overall achievement – when they are personally engaged with their college. Having an affinity with even one member of the faculty or staff can create that bond, and we encourage our students to get to know us at Middlesex.
A key part of this is our enhanced First-Year Experience, which we continue to hone to better support new students as they transition into college life. These include:
- General Education Seminars: a series of general education seminars designed for first year students and those in their first 30 credits. Students earn 1 credit for each seminar. Click here to learn more about these Interdisciplinary Study seminars.
- IDS 101: First-Year Experience
- IDS 102: Service
- IDS 103: Leadership
- IDS 104: Research
- IDS 106: Career Exploration
- IDS 107: Career Development
- IDS 108: Wellness
- First-Year Experience activities: a series of co-curricular engagement activities designed to orient new students to Middlesex campus life. Stop by the Center for Leadership and Engagement to learn more or to register for these programs.
- 9/16-9/19 Evening Java Break
- 9/26 Bedford Kickball Game
- 10/5 Project Adventure ropes course
- 11/4 Lowell Wish Project Community Service Project
- 11/22 Hunger Games Catching Fire at movie theatre
- And more coming soon!
Check out the FYE Engagement Video!
Ours is a deliberate effort to go beyond the traditional welcome to first year students. We want to engage and excite them with what it means to be a Middlesex student and a member of the larger community. We want to make them aware of academic and co-curricular opportunities. Most of all, we want them to stay involved with their studies, set a path for their future and then make it happen.