▲ The remnants of a shrine built for the Blessed Mother still stand at the MCC Fitness Trail entrance, constructed more than half a century ago by Marist Father Basil Mader. facilities. However, the spirits of the students were high, and enthusiasm, a permanent condition; the willingness of the young seminarians to accept whatever stringent rules might be imposed, gave hope that this important undertaking would be successful.” FAT H E R M A D E R One of the seminary’s most beloved teachers, Father Basil Mader, was best remembered for caring for the environs surrounding the seminary buildings. Rev. John Lynch, in writing No Time to Spare, a Mader biography, said Mader “will be remembered not only for his classes in Greek and Latin, but perhaps, through the vagaries of history, as the one who dredged ‘the pond’ and landscaped the ‘woods’ on the beautiful Bedford property: there were apple orchards, peach and pear trees, vegetable gardens, cornfields, horses, cows, pigs, chickens and barns filled with sweet-smelling hay.” It was Mader who, soon after arriving at the seminary, built a stone grotto, a structure which still stands today at the entrance to MCC’s recently opened Fitness Trail. Down the slope from the grotto was a boggy marsh, which Father Mader spent endless hours clearing out. Over the years, he created pathways around it, which today comprise the heart of the MCC Fitness Trail network. He constructed a 7-foot deep “swimming hole” complete with a wooden diving board at one end. Surrounding the pond he built bridges and benches, adding Stations of the Cross on the trees around them. In the winter, the pond would serve as a skating rink for the fathers and their students. Mader died in 1949. His biography ended with the tribute “He must be roaming the heavens, finding things to do in that ocean of timelessness.” In 1947, when the seminary became affiliated with the Catholic University of America, it changed its name from Maryvale Seminary to Marist College and Seminary. Ten years later, it became simply the Marist Preparatory Seminary. The Holy Family Sisters Convent was located where MCC’s Bedford House (Building 5) is now. The first convent building was destroyed by fire, and the 28