▲ Farmland in Bedford that eventually became part of the MCC campus Known initially as Maryvale Seminary, it was founded on April 14, 1925. The Rev. Adolphe Rabel of Cambridge had targeted a swath of land in Bedford on the Billerica border as the potential site for the development of a new apostolic school. At the time, the property was listed in the name of Ellen G. Furlong of Boston. Prior to that, the property had been a farm, according to the Waite family of Bedford. The Waite’s connection to the property began with Irving Charles Waite, who managed the farm for a Boston family. He occupied a farmhouse on the property with his wife and three children in the late 1800s. The “farmhouse” is still part of the MCC fabric, now occupied by the Massachusetts Community Colleges General Counsel. In addition to managing the property for years, Waite would eventually become Bedford’s Fire Chief. Ironically, the Waite legacy would remain entwined with MCC, as more than half a dozen descendants of Irving Waite would take courses at the campus, right up to the current day. According to a memorandum of agreement reached on February 25, 1925, Furlong executed the sale of the land to Rev. Rabel for the price of $38,500. With the sale came all the buildings thereon, as well as other property, including “seven cows, two horses, all the poultry, all the farming implements and machinery, wagons, carts, auto truck; all the beds complete with springs and mattresses; kitchen range, ice chest, cooking utensils; ice, hay, feed, coal and wood on the premises.” At the end of October 1925, clearing of the land was underway and the main seminary academic building, better known today on MCC’s Bedford campus as North Academic Hall, was built. The school opened its doors for its first 62 students on October 20, 1926, with a staff of six. A Marist description of the early facilities mirrors an eerie similarity to the tale of MCC’s earliest days at the VA: “Conditions in the pioneering days of Maryvale Seminary were quite primitive: a basketball ‘gym’ that had no lockers and no sidelines bordering the playing area; a baseball field hacked out of a cornfield, near the barns, on a pitched terrain; there were no other recreational 27