Student Teaching Guidelines
Early Childhood Practicum & Seminar
- Students are required to do at least 150 hours of student teaching at their placement site.
- The Practicum is a full semester. The 150 hours are minimum requirements for the Massachusetts Early Education and Care Department.
- Placements will require a CORI/SORI and Fingerprint-based checks. See course handbook or professor for more information.
- Students need to be at their student teaching site at least two mornings a week between 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
- Students are allowed to do their student teaching at their place of employment with permission of the professor.
- Students are allowed to work with children from birth to age seven *(This will change to age eight when the state wide articulation agreement is approved).
- Students may receive payment if they are hired or substituting.
- Students are not counted in the teacher/child ratio if not employed by the placement site supervisor.
- Students are never allowed to be left alone with the children if not employed by the placement site supervisor.
- Cooperating Teacher and Student Teacher will meet bi-weekly to discuss curriculum planning and ongoing evaluation of student's progress.
- The Student Teacher in collaboration with the Supervising Teacher will plan the curriculum and lesson plan to be carried out by the Student Teacher.
- The Student Teacher will be evaluated three times by the Supervisor of Student Teaching and the Cooperating Teacher during the semester.
- The age groups of the children for the Practicum must be between the ages of birth and 7 years of age. *
- Students will complete their Portfolio for final evaluation.
- Students will keep a journal of their student teaching experience.
- Cooperating Teacher must be Lead Teacher and taught for at least 2 years.
- Placement site must be in operation at least 2 years and in Massachusetts.