Sex Offender Operational Procedures
Colleges’ Receipt of Sex Offender’s Final Classification
The Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board classifies sex offenders according to levels low risk (1) to high risk (3). The Board is required to transmit a Level 3 sex offender’s registration data and final classification to an institution of higher education where the offender works, intends to work, is enrolled as a student or intends to enroll as a student. Police Departments may also transmit Level 2 and Level 3 sex offender information to the college regarding such sex offenders who may live or work in the vicinity of the College.
The Director of Public Safety will act as the primary public safety officer at the College. The Director of Public Safety, the Executive Director of Public Affairs and the Director of Compliance will act as the liaisons to the Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board and local Police Departments in receiving sex offender registry information. The Directors and Executive Director will receive all Level 3 notifications directly from the Board and/or local Police Departments. They will coordinate the posting of Level 3 notifications on campus and disseminate Level 3 information to the President, Vice Presidents, Dean of Students, Human Resources Director, Campus Managers and Public Safety and managers in areas where vulnerable populations are served including the Library, BRIDGE, LMACS, Community Programs and the Fitness Center. In addition, the College reserves the right to directly notify instructors, faculty members and/or supervisors. Managers in areas of responsibility who service vulnerable populations shall be made aware of the following:
- The College Policy on Access to Sex Offender Information.
- Where Sex Offender Registry Information is Available.
- The Procedures MCC Follows upon Receipt of Sex Offender Registry Information.
Community Notification of Level 3 Sex Offender Information
Level 3 offender notices shall be posted by the Director of Public Safety or his/her designee within 2 days of receiving the information from the Board, regardless of when a meeting to inform the offender occurs. The notice locations include, but are not limited to, a bulletin board on Main Street of the Campus Center on the Bedford campus, a bulletin board in the Lobby of the City Building on the Lowell Campus, the Libraries on both campuses, the Fitness Center, and a centrally located bulletin board in each building on both campuses, both administrative and academic.
College Officials’ Meeting with a Finally Classified Offender
Level 2 and Level 3
- If the offender is a student and is classified a Level 2 or Level 3 offender, the student must meet with the Dean of Students, Director of Human Resources and the Director of Public Safety or their designees.
- If the offender is an employee and is a Level 2 or Level 3 offender, the employee must meet with the Dean of Students, Director of Human Resources and the Director of Public Safety or their designees.
The sex offender will be advised of the following:
- Inform the offender of the College’s knowledge of his/her final classification.
- Outline the College’s obligation to provide public access to Level 2 & 3 sex offender information through its Department of Public Safety.
- Any restrictions that will be imposed on the sex offender.
- If the offender is classified at Level 3, he/she is further informed of the College’s policy of posting notice at each campus.
- If the offender is classified at Level 3, provide the offender with a copy of the community notification the College intends to post.
- If the offender is classified at Level 3, the functional areas of the College who will be provided with the public notification that will be posted.
- If the offender is classified at Level 3, that the community notification will take place within two days of receipt regardless of when the meeting occurs.
Public Access to Level 2 & 3 Sex Offender Information
The College will advise students and employees how to access sex offender information through appropriate College publications that include, but are not limited to the Student Handbook, Academic Catalog, Faculty Handbook and the College Portal.
The Department of Public Safety will be responsible for maintaining a Level 2 and Level 3 Sex Offender Binder on each campus. The sex offender information binders at the Public Safety offices shall be available for public inspection and copies of Level 2 and 3 notices may be provided upon appropriate written request.
The Director of Public Safety or his/her designee will not respond to a request for Level 2 or 3 sex offender information unless the request is presented in writing utilizing the College’s “Sex Offender Information Request Form”. The form is available online at the College Portal and also in hard copy at the Public Safety offices. The Director of Public Safety or his/her designee will maintain a log and record of all inquiries including copies of all the written requests for sex offender information.
Upon receiving a written request for information the Director of Public Safety or his/her designee will inform individuals seeking public information on sex offenders to contact their local police department or the Board to obtain a more in-depth listing of sex offender information.
Upon receiving a written request for information the Director of Public Safety or his/her designee will also inform individuals seeking public information on sex offenders that use of sex offender information to engage in illegal discrimination or harassment of an offender shall be punishable by not more than two and one-half years in the house of correction or by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by both such fine and imprisonment.