Assessment and Educational Planning
Effective developmental advising systems help students
- make academic and career decisions based on clear, accurate information
- identify, document and fully understand the academic milestones that must be attained to achieve these goals
- take an engaged, intentional role in their academic and career choices
- Take advantage of campus resources that will help them to be successful and to persist
- Make connections with college faculty and staff members
The assessment process begins with an intake assessment called the Student Advising Preparation Form. The intake is administered to newly enrolled students during the Getting Started orientation program and is used to identify each student’s career and educational interests, motivations for being at Middlesex, and personal obligations that may impact their academic progress.
Working together, advisors and students use the results of the intake to start building an educational plan that will be a part of an advising portfolio. Each student’s educational plan consists of their intake assessment results, listing of courses to be completed each semester, and advising notes.
The educational plan will be housed in DegreeWorks